In 2010, Greg Lawrence and James Tonn started talking about the impact of the digital revolution on their respective industries – about the rapidly expanding indie economy, and the diminishing role of record labels, publishers, and brick-and-mortar retail.
A partnership took root between two founders with very complementary backgrounds.
Greg, having graduated from the prestigious Trebas Institute, established himself as one of the foremost audio engineers in neuroscience-based audio products, before designing and building an independent recording studio – from which he produced indie bands and provided voiceover recording and post-production. After a natural transition to audiobook production, Greg has since worked on over 700 audiobooks to date, with over 300 of the best narrators in the world, and has become a multi-award winning audiobook producer.
James, having received two international procurement designations, consulted on the strategic spending of public money including a number of multibillion-dollar public-private partnership projects. Along with his understanding of strategic partnerships, he also developed his publishing expertise as an editor of a business magazine that features best-selling authors. James is a life-long lover of audiobooks, has been the Executive Producer on every one of Podium’s titles, and is Vice President of Acquisitions.
In July of 2012, after much research and strategic planning, Greg and James launched Podium Publishing. Focusing exclusively on audiobooks, Podium set out to create revolutionary partnerships with authors that acknowledge the changing publishing landscape.
In numerous genres, Podium has been able to demonstrate and replicate success for authors:
- Best-Selling Audiobooks
- Award-Winning Production
- Innovative Promotion
Within just a few years since launch, Podium has:
- Published over 200 excellent audiobooks
- Received rave reviews by all the industry’s top critics
- Won the 2015 Audie Award for Best Science Fiction Audiobook from the Audio Publishers Association
- Received 9 Audie Award Finalists
- Received 27 Voice Arts Awards Finalists
- Won the award for “Outstanding Audiobook Narration: Science Fiction” from the Society of Voice Arts and Sciences
- Won the award for “Outstanding Audiobook Narration, Best Male Voice: Fiction & Fantasy” from the Society of Voice Arts and Sciences
- Won the American Library Association’s “2015 Listen List Award”
- Won the 2014 Armchair Audies “Listener’s Choice Award”
- Created dozens of Top 100 Best-sellers across all of Audible.com in many genres
- Been runner-up for Audible’s Best Science Fiction Audiobook of 2013
- Created a Top 10 Best-selling audiobook, across all audiobooks in all genres on Audible.com, that has remained at #1 Best-selling in its genre for the majority of 2014 and 2015
- Created the first audiobook to exceed 100,000 ratings, rumored to be the best-selling audiobook of all time on any digital platform
…and that’s just the execution of the foundational plan: Phase 1.
Phase 2 begins now!